Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 10-05-2012 2:51am

DaveC

Deluxe remaster mania

Has anyone else noticed the whole deluxe remastered albums thing is getting out of hand?

I was born in '79 so the 90s was my main era for discovering music and it soundtracking memorable times in my life. I've noticed that a huge chunk of the albums I bought during the 90s have been remastered & put out again as deluxe editions over the last few years.

Whilst I like the fact that this potentially gets a new generation of fans into a band, and can generate some good extra material, what I want to know is, where will it end? We are now at a stage where stuff from just LAST decade is being remastered.

Whilst I once presumed that maybe remastering was a good idea for say 80s records and maybe some early 90s records, surely recording technology has not moved on sufficiently in the last ten years to justify remastering albums such as Interpol's 'Turn On The Bright Lights' from 2002 that to my ears sounds as fresh and vibrant as the day it came out. How do you improve on perfection?

Sometimes collating b-sides from an era can be good (The Cure: Join The Dots box set being a superb release), b-sides themselves being a kind of relic in the days of downloading whereas once we eagerly waited release date to hear those 2 or 3 extra songs by our favourite bands. Sometimes a full live set can emerge that is so good it makes you wonder why it wasn't released years ago (Sugar live at Chicago Metro '92 from the recent Copper Blue reissue).

For me that's where the interest ends. I am a firm believer that songs remain 'previously unreleased' for a good reason, ie they were not good enough to put out on a b-side let alone an album. Demos for the most part are unnecessary when the superior, finished version was chosen for the album obviously becase it was the BEST version.

What do you think is the minimum length of time acceptable for an album to go back in the shops as a 'deluxe remastered edition'? Do you think 10 years as per Interpol's example will become the norm?

How many times in recent years have you bought music you already own because a newer version of said album has come out?

#2 10-05-2012 9:16am

doggie_diner

Re: Deluxe remaster mania

A good point though poorly developed.

To say an Interpol cd is fresh and vibrant is simply intellectual laziness.

Though maybe you just mean the sound as opposed to the material but I'm attacking the material as opposed to the sound of your missive.

So maybe I am unentitled to comment; and you in turn unentitled to be commented on.

Maybe this missive of mine nullifies the existence of both of our points.

Sorry if it does.

''Shoot me like an Irish soldier
Do not hang me like a dog''

#3 10-05-2012 10:32pm

DaveC

"To say an Interpol cd is fresh and vibrant is simply intellectual laziness".

Why? I know tastes differ but in 2002 when that album came out, it stood head and shoulders above virtually every other 'indie' band around. When I say'fresh and vibrant', I meant both the music AND the production. I love the vibe on that album and think it is expertly produced. Would you say your favourite albums from the 2000s need remastering already?

I'm not trying to find out who is an Interpol fan and who isn't, I am just interested in music fans' opinions on the industry's obsession with repackaging old music at an alarming rate.

#4 10-06-2012 2:01am

Charles
Website

The record companies know that we are at a point where music on your computer or ipod is the norm. They have been releasing all the demos, rough mixes, live recordings, and everything else in their vaults because they know that this is the only time they can make money off the material (from people like myself that prefer physical copies of our music as opposed to people that will download what they want.) They will remaster "classic" albums by bands that have fans that are eager to own everything (because they know that that kind of a cash grab works.) I have also seen more and more albums being mastered / remastered for itunes / computer formats to cater to people that listen exclusively to their ipods / music on their computers which might be a selling point to people that download their music. I do not think anything from 2000 on needs to be remastered. Mid 90's seems like a good cutoff point in general.

I hate to see you look that way
All the beauty has left your face
That's such an easy thing to give away
That's impossible to replace -American Music Club

#5 10-06-2012 9:27am

doggie_diner

DaveC wrote:

"To say an Interpol cd is fresh and vibrant is simply intellectual laziness".

Why? I know tastes differ but in 2002 when that album came out, it stood head and shoulders above virtually every other 'indie' band around. When I say'fresh and vibrant', I meant both the music AND the production. I love the vibe on that album and think it is expertly produced. Would you say your favourite albums from the 2000s need remastering already?

I'm not trying to find out who is an Interpol fan and who isn't, I am just interested in music fans' opinions on the industry's obsession with repackaging old music at an alarming rate.

I'd prefer to know where I stand with people, man.

For instance, to-day I told someone I wished I were as calm as she, that I am in a constant state of desperation like that of someone with consumption. Horny, with a Dickensian hack. She said I looked ''dead calm''
  She was right too, for I am dead calm.

Now, I may or may not like interpol (never even heard of em) and it's more probable that I mayn't but you've failed to notice how I've agreed with your point, that is the dizzying inundation of re-issues.
  A sluice of retrospectivism. The river is being drained to irrigate barren soil.
You can't see the wood for the trees, pal.

My worries take the argument much further though; I must exclaim that we are no longer producing, the entire human race is looking over its shoulder:

'What will my mother think of my art, or my father, oh not to worry I've inherited their taste in the first place so I'll go on''

and so am I, looking backward, downward, upward-backward. Downstartward. How I worry. With dead calm.

What can we do about this?

And I say these albums need to be unremastered. To unimprove entirely, to get primitive. Maybe to melt down every slab of vinyl ever produced and start anew. I am desperate, brothers.

Last edited by doggie_diner (10-06-2012 9:30am)

#6 10-07-2012 12:52pm

ggdfan25

I think it's simply a cash grab for a failing industry.

Also, Doggie Diner, ease up on the crack pipe man

#7 10-08-2012 2:54am

Gurkov

Yes, of course it's a cash grab. The Stones Roses' debut album will continue to be remastered every 5-10 years. I'd say that most albums don't need remastering, not even old LP's (perhaps better CD transfers, though). There are exceptions, of course. Ride's "Nowhere" sounds brilliant on its new Rhino incarnation.

Regarding the packaging, demos are in 95% of the cases just tedious. B-sides and outtakes I really like to have collected, though. It differs from band to band of course, but imagine a world without Springsteen's 70's outtakes - I couldn't live in it!

#8 10-08-2012 3:15am

DaveC

I think it gets very silly indeed when something is remastered more than once. I got the 2001 Ignition remasters of Ride's Nowhere and Going Blank Again because I liked the thought of the b-sides being included. Leave Them All Behind was one of my first singles (on tape!) and I realised upon the remaster coming out that I'd never had the stunning instrumental 'Grasshopper' on CD so I had to get that.

I think that Nowhere with the Today Forever EP tagged on is a flawless compact disc. Going Blank Again is a mixed bag for me, but starting off with its strongest track, it would always struggle to keep you interested throughout. I'd say all 4 b-sides could have fitted on the album, with some of the weaker tracks left off. I'll probably make a playlist with my ideal version of GBA.

Really, does the new Rhino issue really improve the sound that much? I'd like to get the GBA issue that has the Live at Brixton DVD, but again, its the buying music I already own (and have bought twice now) that would bug me.

#9 10-08-2012 3:18am

DaveC

I think it gets very silly indeed when something is remastered more than once. I got the 2001 Ignition remasters of Ride's Nowhere and Going Blank Again because I liked the thought of the b-sides being included. Leave Them All Behind was one of my first singles (on tape!) and I realised upon the remaster coming out that I'd never had the stunning instrumental 'Grasshopper' on CD so I had to get that.

I think that Nowhere with the Today Forever EP tagged on is a flawless compact disc. Going Blank Again is a mixed bag for me, but starting off with its strongest track, it would always struggle to keep you interested throughout. I'd say all 4 b-sides could have fitted on the album, with some of the weaker tracks left off. I'll probably make a playlist with my ideal version of GBA.

Really, does the new Rhino issue really improve the sound that much? I'd like to get the GBA issue that has the Live at Brixton DVD, but again, its the buying music I already own (and have bought twice now) that would bug me.

#10 10-08-2012 4:36am

Gurkov

Some would say that if you already own one, or even more than one, version of an album, you needn't feel bad about downloading it. But to each his own.

Yeah, to me the 2001 remaster of Nowhere wasn't a great improvement, but the later Rhino issue really was. At least for some tracks, like Seagull. Everything just sounds a bit more clear. I don't care that much for the songs "Here and Now" and "Nowhere", but yeah, with the Today Forever EP, it is more or less a perfect work of art! smile  I'd love to have the audio from the Brixton show, only have that one on bad old VHS...

#11 10-08-2012 9:22pm

lament
Site Owner
Website

re: Ride remasters: Dave Newton (Ride's manager) confirmed that both the 2xCD 2011 Nowhere and the new CD/DVD of Going Blank Again use the 2001 remasters.

However, Live at the Roxy was remixed from the multitrack recordings and sound noticeably different from the Kaleidoscope promo that has 6 tracks from this show.

#12 10-08-2012 10:47pm

DaveC

Really? So, the remaster that Gurkov thinks is a great improvement upon the original album is actually the very same remaster that he thought wasn't a great improvement? The plot thickens!

So the remaster thing, is it all in the mind, are we tricked into thinking something sounds better when actually it is barely noticeable, sometimes not noticeable at all?

#13 10-09-2012 5:23am

Gurkov

The plot thickens, indeed. I wouldn’t say the difference is great enough to actually justify another buy if you already own one version of the album. But that said, I seem to remember you, Lament, linking to some spectrums and stuff, showing that even if it is the same remaster, the 2001 and 2011 versions does sound different.

I don’t know, maybe it’s all in the mind and I’m just imagining things... But... listen to Seagull and tell me what you think!

#14 10-09-2012 10:45am

doggie_diner

You've all lost the plot.

#15 10-09-2012 1:46pm

Lightfoot

doggie_diner wrote:

You've all lost the plot.

And you've clearly lost your mind.