Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 09-26-2012 8:53am

DaveC

Rollercoaster & Bridge single disc!

I'm playing every RHP album back to back, and wondered what it would be like to mix the best of Rollercoaster and Bridge onto one disc. Of course in the days of digital music and playlists, we're not limited to a CD length, BUT........

Just for fun, as hard as this may be, try and distance yourself from the albums as we know and love them, and just take them as 22 songs and you have to make a single CD album out of them.

Would you still take up valuable space with Mother and Funhouse? Which Mistress? Which New Jersey?

I really love Rollercoaster and its almost untouchable, but I may lose Mother and Funhouse and replace them with Bubble, Helicopter and Blindfold. Also I'd have the Bridge version of New Jersey as that was one of the first 2 RHP songs I heard.

Last edited by DaveC (09-26-2012 8:54am)

#2 09-26-2012 7:12pm

Charles
Website

Re: Rollercoaster & Bridge single disc!

Would you also add in the songs from the "Shock Me" ep? I have the cd version of Bridge with the ep added to the end and it fits really well with that material.

I hate to see you look that way
All the beauty has left your face
That's such an easy thing to give away
That's impossible to replace -American Music Club

#3 09-27-2012 9:23am

DaveC

I suppose you could. I've never seen the edition of Bridge with the EP tagged on. I love Sundays and Holidays. Not sure I could imagine it on a Rollercoaster/Bridge disc. I suppose it could be put in halfway through the album, to lighten the mood a bit, then you'd have that at the halfway point and keeping Brown Eyes as the closer, a good way to end each half of the album.

#4 09-27-2012 9:27pm

Charles
Website

Sundays and Holidays is the only reason I asked, haha.

#5 10-05-2012 10:40pm

DaveC

Sundays and Holidays is a classic. Is nobody up for doing this?

#6 10-06-2012 12:56pm

Charles
Website

I would cut Funhouse, Take Me Out, and Mother due to having some lyrics I find cringe worthy, Mistress (band) and New Jersey (band) since I think the other versions of those songs are the better versions. Add Sundays and Holidays. If I am over 80 minutes then cut Blindfold, Star Spangled Banner. I like the songs but I think I need more space.

#7 10-07-2012 4:06pm

Charles
Website

I also think that you could probably add in 24 and Medicine Bottle while retaining the same overall feel of the album but I am not sure what other songs I would cut.

#8 10-08-2012 2:48am

Gurkov

I'd leave out Mother, Star Spangled, non-band New Jersey and band Mistress. And maybe Funhouse, but hm... no, I'd keep it. That would make 18 songs. I would not add anything from the Shock Me E.P., since it has more of an Ocean Beach feeling to it. And also because, however funny, some f-ing Kiss dude's shit lyrics are not worthy. (Yes, Kiss in Swedish means piss. That was a common joke back in kindergarten.)

Anyway, as someone said, Brown Eyes has to end the whole thing. It's a beautiful song. Maybe one of the best. Ever. "Fires burn in autumn skies". Then those magnificent, jazzy chords. Ah! The last chord is actually "the New Order chord", tuned down a whole tone. Wonderful!

#9 10-08-2012 3:13pm

LettersInKanji
Website

I can't even imagine skipping Funhouse. Not sure I want to do the whole exercise, but wanted that in there for the record. Either my favorite or second-favorite RHP song, depending on my mood that day.

#10 10-08-2012 11:17pm

DaveC

Really I was thinking of Down Colourful Hill as a seperate entity, which it is, and Shock Me as more of an Ocean Beach era thing. The idea for the OP came about because of the fact that those 22 songs were recorded at the same sessions and just happened to end up split between two releases that came out within just months of each other.

I was just curious as to what people would do if presented with all those 22 songs and told to make an album out of what they considered to be the strongest ones. . . . . .

#11 10-08-2012 11:21pm

DaveC

PS, Shock Me stinks like yesterday's beef, in every version I have heard. Don't know why it was ever recorded, let alone put out as a single with 2 versions of it on.

#12 10-09-2012 11:11am

beginning's eve
Website

this was tough...

1.    Grace Cathedral Park
2.    Down Through
3.    Katy Song
4.    Mistress  (full band)
5.    Things Mean a Lot
6.    Funhouse
7.    Dragonflies
8.    Strawberry Hill
9.    Brown Eyes
10.    Bubble
11.    Helicopter
12.    New Jersey  (full band)
13.    Blindfold
14.    Star Spangled Banner

and the open drapes look out on frozen farmhouse landscapes...

Board footer