Sad Reminders

An Unofficial Mark Kozelek Site

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is now READ ONLY. The new forum is here. Read why we have a new forum here.

#1 01-04-2008 9:17am

lament
Site Owner
Website

Califone, Sparhawk, Kozelek Help Do Presidential Songs

"Standard Recording Company has thrown us a bone in the politics department in the form of a three-CD box set tentatively titled Of Great and Mortal Men: 43 Songs About 43 U.S. Presidencies. The set's subject matter is apparent, and its backstory doesn't disappoint.

Christian Kiefer, Matthew Gerken (Nice Monster), and Jefferson Pitcher (ex-Above the Orange Trees) wrote nearly all of Of Great and Mortal Men's songs back in February 2006 as part of February Album Writing Month, a songwriting challenge to write 14 songs in 28 days. They pooled their efforts to pen a song apiece about all of the U.S. presidents (3 x 14 = 42, with the George W. Bush tune arriving later), and they came out of it with a heap of demos.

Then, they fleshed (and are fleshing) the songs out with studio contributions from Califone, Alan Sparhawk (Low), Mark Kozelek (Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters), Wooden Wand and the Vanishing Voice, Rosie Thomas, Denison Witmer, Marla Hansen (Sufjan Stevens's band), Vince DiFiore (Cake), and Tom Carter (Charalambides), among others."

Full story here (thanks sg70471 for the reminder!).

#2 09-25-2012 3:47am

Concern Charity Fundrazer

Re: Califone, Sparhawk, Kozelek Help Do Presidential Songs

Yes I got a copy of this at the time and to be honest I really like it very much. The booklet and illustrations are great and after it was released there was a bonus track about Obama. The track MK contributes to (When Ike Walked the Land or something like that) only has his guitar playing and I think Alan Sparhawk on vocals

Board footer