Guys... we're moving to Reddit

edited February 19 in Mark Kozelek

I've started a Sad Reminders subreddit and we're moving over there.

As you know, I've been maintaining this website since the day Ghosts of the Great Highway launched: November 4, 2003. It's been a fun ride, but I just don't have the time to maintain it anymore. I'll probably keep Twitter going, but not the Facebook page.

You guys are awesome, and I appreciate all the support over the years. <3

Edit: I've made it so that you can only comment on current discussions. Any new discussions, please post over on Reddit.

I plan to redirect the site to the /r/sadreminders subreddit when my domain name renewal is up in early April.

Be sure to get all the info out of your PM inbox that you still want.

Comments

@lament
    Hey I cannot thank you enough for all the time effort and ❤️ you’ve invested here
    I used to really enjoy your track by track reviews of whatever Mark’s latest releases were to name one of many highlights
    Wishing you peace harmony and prosperity for the future for you & yours
    You will be sadly 😭missed

• Thank you @lament for keeping this up so long

• Thanks so much @lament for your upkeep of this forum and the old forum. I sometimes wonder if the forum has been slowly dying out mainly because of the drastic change in style of Mark’s music since around 2012. Whilst some like his output since, many also don’t and as such don’t feel like participating as much as they once did. I count myself in this. I have tried and tried as a long term fan to appreciate his output in recent years but simply can’t force myself to like something I don’t. Life is too short.

I checked out after Common & Kitchen which were atrocious. I read some of the lyrics from his recent release the other day, they were awful, and as such I have no interest in listening to said music. I can’t take anymore of this ‘sh*tting into the microphone’ for 10 minutes at a time nonsense.

I have noticed that in the last couple of years @lament that aside from maintaining the site, you don’t seem to have passed comment very often. Is this because like myself, you no longer like what Mark is doing, if you don’t mind me asking?

Thanks anyway for all you’ve done

Hey @Thunderbolt - yes, I'm in the same boat as you. The decline started with Benji for me, actually. Some things here and there were decent (Night Talks EP, for example), but as a whole, just not into it anymore.

• Thanks for your honest response. Must be hard keeping enthusiasm for a site when you’re no longer into the music

• JRSJRS

Thanks @lament for all the years you’ve been running this. Sad to see it go but I’ll be over on reddit as JRS80.

Thanks guys. Sad to see it go, but it's time.

Also I've made it so that no new discussions can be made. Just comments.

I plan to redirect the site to the /r/sadreminders subreddit when my domain name renewal is up in early April.

Be sure to get all the info out of your PM inbox that you still want.

That is the end of an era. Thanks Lament. I must say I gave up on the music just after Benji but kept coming back here for the "now playing" thread which was always good value. Remember the old "mistress" email group? that was a long time ago. Anyway, thanks for your efforts over a very long time.

Yes, definitely remember the Mistress group, and Kevin Berk's old RHP site, which made me want to create one as well.

Thanks for all your efforts over the years.

End of an era indeed.

I found this place not long after it launched, after GotGH was released (which was my introduction to Mark, I'd heard of RHP but never listened to them before) and for the next several years was absolutely blown away by the back catalogue, and the new releases up until AFP. After that it was touch-and-go...I didn't think much of AtL, but then was blown away by Perils, and really liked Benji, but since then I'm sad to say it's been more misses than hits. I just find his recent releases an absolute chore to get through.

It's also reflected in his live performances. I saw him back in 2008 with a full band which was full of energy (a near 20-minute version of River? Yes please!), then experienced his miserable solo self in 2011 at the "show on a boat that was half full" (which was in fact pretty damn full) and then finally in 2016 with Justin Broderick where I swear to god he was drunk, going by the shit he was rambling about between songs. Honestly, I doubt I'll even bother seeing him live again.

I don't think I'll be making the move to Reddit as I find the interface pretty confusing but I'll drop by and have a read from time to time. I was never the most active poster here, especially in recent years, but always enjoyed this little corner of sad whiners.

Thanks for all your efforts, lament!

@lament said:
    Hey @Thunderbolt - yes, I'm in the same boat as you. The decline started with Benji for me, actually. Some things here and there were decent (Night Talks EP, for example), but as a whole, just not into it anymore.

That’s pretty much my opinion in a nutshell as there was something horrible & cringeworthy in the lyrics of Dogs in particular that really reminded me of Sex On Fire by Kings of Leon & although some on here disagreed with me (all I can give is my own opinion) Mark’s last live appearance in Dublin in 2017 when my son came along to see ‘What has my Dad being going on about all these years’ I found a quite embarrassing experience
    My final thought on this is that Mark having his own record label with nobody to answer to & a devil-may-care attitude to releases it really seems to have become a situation of quantity over quality
    It’s been a....ahem...Rollercoaster ride of a decade and a half 😉

• edited February 20 Posts: 694

I don’t suppose anyone has heard from @G0LDEN_BEAR lately? He was on the old forum too but hasn’t been active on here for a while now. I messaged him & no response. Hope he is ok

@MrHanky good post. Cringeworthy lyrics & half assed mumblings about Caroline, cats, boxing, mass murders and hotel rooms have just done my head in over the last few years, though I do like Perils. Agree about Dogs. He really has done dreadful stuff in recent years. It seems like there’s only a handful of fans on here who genuinely like his current direction and still want to see him live. Many who once enjoyed seeing him perform (including myself) simply can’t be bothered anymore. It genuinely astounds me when I hear that some people prefer what he does now to RHP & his early SKM / solo stuff

• Hi @lament - I'm an old timer on the forum myself and have really enjoyed the great discussions over the years. Benji was my official check-out point as well. Thanks for creating the site and keeping the conversation going all these years. Your devotion is appreciated!

• Whilst the love-in continues, I just realised that I discovered the music of Low, Idaho, Codeine & Bluetile Lounge through this forum, so thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction

Oooh, sad news I don't know how many years I've been here. Was a few years before I even decided to post anything. Thank you for all your hard work :smiley:

I haven't posted here in a while, but I've still been lurking around. Thank you @lament for all your efforts. I think I joined just after Among the Leaves came out, although I've been listening to Mark since Ghosts, and used to lurk on the old forum too! Best wishes to you.

@dwah86 said:
    End of an era indeed.

I found this place not long after it launched, after GotGH was released (which was my introduction to Mark, I'd heard of RHP but never listened to them before) and for the next several years was absolutely blown away by the back catalogue, and the new releases up until AFP. After that it was touch-and-go...I didn't think much of AtL, but then was blown away by Perils, and really liked Benji, but since then I'm sad to say it's been more misses than hits. I just find his recent releases an absolute chore to get through.

It's also reflected in his live performances. I saw him back in 2008 with a full band which was full of energy (a near 20-minute version of River? Yes please!), then experienced his miserable solo self in 2011 at the "show on a boat that was half full" (which was in fact pretty damn full) and then finally in 2016 with Justin Broderick where I swear to god he was drunk, going by the shit he was rambling about between songs. Honestly, I doubt I'll even bother seeing him live again.

I don't think I'll be making the move to Reddit as I find the interface pretty confusing but I'll drop by and have a read from time to time. I was never the most active poster here, especially in recent years, but always enjoyed this little corner of sad whiners.

Thanks for all your efforts, lament!

Reddit is actually pretty easy to use. The postings are like different threads here and the replies to the postings are like the follow ups in the threads here.

• Thanks @lament for your hard work stretching back before I even knew who the Koz was. This forum was a bit of a laugh as well, even with people I disagreed with! See you on reddit maybe.

• I hope a good amount of the active people here come over to the subreddit. It was always a fun forum. I'll be over at reddit, too. I am not much of an active redditor but more of an avid lurker but maybe that'll change now.

• JRSJRS
    edited February 21 Posts: 557

@DonaldDuckKooKim said:
    I hope a good amount of the active people here come over to the subreddit. It was always a fun forum. I'll be over at reddit, too. I am not much of an active redditor but more of an avid lurker but maybe that'll change now.

Yep, never even heard of Reddit until a few days ago but I’ve managed to get on it and now known as JRS80. See you on the flip side!

• WDSWDS

See you guys in planet Reddit! Thanks Lament

• edited February 22 Posts: 694

Not sure how much I’ll post over there unless it’s about the good old days of Mark, but I’m on Reddit already as Pop_Zeus which is the name of one of my favourite Robert Pollard non-Guided By Voices songs. It contains a lyric that only Bob could get away with: “Call him Max, send him a fax, charge him no tax, Pop Zeus.” Ah what the heck here is a belting live version of it

If we are posting songs the title of this alone seems fitting
    Not sure this band ever made it Stateside but as I say it’s the title really

...sad to hear and thanks for your great efforts on this marvellous site!

• @MrHanky said:
    there was something horrible & cringeworthy in the lyrics of Dogs in particular that really reminded me of Sex On Fire by Kings of Leon

I disagree of course, but this absolutely hilarious. Cheerio MrH!

@gustavostillsnash said:

I disagree of course, but this absolutely hilarious. Cheerio MrH!

💩

• JRSJRS

@lament have you thought about transferring the management / moderating of this site to someone else?

• Lots of years lurking here and the occasional post, thanks for all the good times. Thanks for the friends I made in the early days.

• Also, reddit is awful. Hand the reigns over to someone else, domain name and all.