Song for a blue guitar

edited October 19 in Mark Kozelek

I wasn't there but I heard Mark played Songs for a Blue Guitar and Carry Me Ohia in Slovenia.

So, there is still hope.

Comments

• JRSJRS

There must have some really really hot girls there all asking for those songs. Ha ha.

• @JRS said:
    There must have some really really hot girls there all asking for those songs. Ha ha.

Hahahaha.

In Amsterdam he only played requests from girls.

does that surprise anyone i mean really!

Nothing like a creepy 50-plus dude hitting on 20-something women.

• A confession. It actually never really occurred to me to listen to this album... I've always been more interested in the recent stuff, and I wasn't born until the year after it came out!

That said, this is really beautiful... I find a lot of the early stuff a chore but this is pretty astonishing...

It was recorded with a different band (John Hiatt’s backing band) which may have some effect on the different vibe.

It’s such a great album. Probably my favorite of the RHP. Even though it’s not the orgianal line up. I like the retrospective for earlier RHP myself

I think it was the best selling RHP album as well. All Mixed Up was used in a commercial (maybe for The Gap?).

Gap commercial

I remember it was in some 90s movie. Excess Bagage. I think.

• JRSJRS

Not forgetting Vanilla Sky too. Which included the ‘Dude, fix your f#%#ing face’ cameo by Mark.

• Are either of those any good? I watched 'Youth' mainly for the Koz cameo but it was actually quite good. I will probably watch 'Shopgirl' at some stage but it looks like a bit of a slog...

• JRSJRS

Shopgirl if I recall has a live performance by Sun Kil Moon!

Lily and Parrots? I think Make Like Paper and Carry Me Ohio were in the background at some points.

• edited October 26 Posts: 1,139

Also a pre-Homeland Claire Danes.

I supposed since its turned into a "wheres Marks music in tv and movies" thread we should just go with it.

• JRSJRS

Then there’s the not very often talked about ‘On Tour’ DVD... which I will probably now watch again come to think of it. My favourite part being where it shows footage of Mark at a concert I went to in Seville during his nylon string guitar phase.

• I watched the 'On Tour' thing. It's quite slow going but the performances are really nice.

It would be good if someone made some kind of 'Dig!'-style documentary about him... obviously he's not as wild as the Brian Jonestown Massacre were these days, but he is really fucking funny and has had an eventful career... I dunno.