Have You Forgotten on The Trials of Darryl Hunt

Just been poking around on Spotify and found this version of Have You Forgotten on a soundtrack from a film called The Trials of Darryl Hunt.

https://open.spotify.com/track/56GikYT4FijKxwHKSK6GDC?si=HCtcJspORoSfIHFEbskbVA

I much prefer it to the RHP version (although it's not as good as this unbelievable version which I'd LOVE as a better quality sound file if anyone has it? )

Comments

My God this version is indeed quite exquisite

Thanks for posting

Isn’t the version on the Vanilla Sky soundtrack different from the one on SFABG?

• JRSJRS

Yes it is. And there is also an extended version on the vanilla sky vinyl.

• Yeah, that's a nice version from the soundtrack and I would kill for a better quality version of the Great American Music Hall one...that must have been one hell of a concert, too.

• WDSWDS
    edited October 17 Posts: 47

@DonaldDuckKooKim said:
    Yeah, that's a nice version from the soundtrack and I would kill for a better quality version of the Great American Music Hall one...that must have been one hell of a concert, too.

I would kill for Mark to record a proper 'with strings' album - re-takes all along these lines. Plenty of cello. This would be track one. You Missed My Heart track two. Gustavo track three

Here is a live RHP version that is interesting. Much slower than the studio version (could have fit on one of the 4AD LPs), chorus melody different, and slight lyric change.

https://mega.nz/#!qpAUAKrb!NF7flU83TSqZTV0gqyqj3rprlY3ieBV4q6BsMpBLBIA

• WDSWDS

This is gorgeous, thank you so much

Makes me miss the old Mark.

Thank you. It's beautiful.

i miss old Mark too. it would be nice to have a show where he plays guitar at least for a couple of songs and plays a couple oldies.

i would like to hear this song and Katy Song live. just once.

• edited November 9 Posts: 47

This is lovely, but it doesn't make me miss 'Old Mark'. A.) He's older than he's ever been at this current moment. B.) The music is all there for you to enjoy.

I miss Bob Dylan before he went electric.

@gustavostillsnash said:

You're in the minority on that. Probably also the minority about not missing the "old" Mark too ;-)

• @gustavostillsnash said:

Wait...Did you shout Judas? ;)

• Hehe! Wondered if that might get a response! ;)

But seriously, Bob and the Koz are actually my two favourite artists, and part of the reason I like them so much is the reinvention aspect. If the shift on 'Among the Leaves'/'Benji' or whenever isn't equivalent to Dylan turning electric, it's certainly the equivalent of Dylan putting out 'Time Out of Mind' and the astonishing records that followed. ('Tempest' from 2012 is actually my favourite BD album to date.) I also love the rearrangement of songs live, something the Koz is also partial to. I think there are parallels!

I dunno. I can't immediately think of any artist that I 'miss' their old work, because I guess I can still listen to it and enjoy it. And I'm sure we can all agree that it's much better for Mark to be doing his own thing rather than traipsing around playing 'Rollercoaster' in full endlessly or whatever.

That's just me though, and of course the Koz's music means a lot to all of us, so when it changes in a way you don't like I get that it could be tough. It's interesting that you feel like you miss him.

• I find his new style very interesting and entertaining but even I can't help but miss some of the old songs sometimes.
    I actually had tears in my eyes when he spontaneously decided to play Glenn Tipton at last year's Berlin concert. He saw a mutual friend of his and Tim Mooney's who was working the sound in the venue and then decided to dedicate the song to Tim Mooney so he probably felt inspired to play it that night. Other times he just doesn't feel like the old songs anymore. He's a different guy now. I'll take it how it comes...

@gustavostillsnash said:
    ('Tempest' from 2012 is actually my favourite BD album to date.)

Errr....really? blonde on blonde? new morning? blood on the tracks? time out of mind? bringing it all back home? even slow train coming?

I mean, that's cool that you say Tempest is your favorite BD album. I just never heard anyone say that, and it makes me think I better go and listen to it again cos I found it a bit boring.

• edited November 11 Posts: 1,139

Hey I’m a fan of Street Legal. Sometimes it’s where you were in your life when it came out or if it was your entry into the catalogue.

• edited November 11 Posts: 47

@DonaldDuckKooKim I get that. Fair enough.

@crayon Yeah I love those records too, but 'Tempest' to me is like the culmination of a life's work. A song like 'Long and Wasted Years' for example, probably my favourite Bob tune, these two long-lost lovers... check it out. It took a while for it to fully reveal itself for me but once it did I found it totally engrossing.

@KozFan 'Street Legal' is really good, a little patchy for me but some top-tier Bob on there: 'Senor', 'Changing of the Guards', 'Is Your Love in Vain?' etc...

I guess this goes to show, we've all got our favourites, and when you've got a discography as varied as Bob's or Mark's, people are going to identify with different parts of it for different reasons.

Finally, just in case anyone tells you Bob can't hack it anymore...

PS: Maybe we should have a Bob thread...

@KozFan said:
    Hey I’m a fan of Street Legal. Sometimes it’s where you were in your life when it came out or if it was your entry into the catalogue.

Yeah, Street Legal is great. Really under appreciated I think.

Desire is also good from that period. Scarlet Rivera’s violin all over it.

@KozFan said:
    Desire is also good from that period. Scarlet Rivera’s violin all over it.

Yeah and Emmylou Harris too....I ❤️ Desire😉

• Is anyone else hip to the fact that what Dylan and his band are playing in that clip is The Beach Boys' Shut Down Part 2, with Bob singing his own song over the top?

And yes, Dylan's sounding a lot better in that clip than I've heard him in a long time.