Comments

• Well, he's largely doing his stream-of-consciousness diary entry lyrics again, but I'm really diggin' the music, even though it's more overtly theatrical than I usually care for. (It reminds me of David Ackles.)

@ScottPeterson said:
    Well, he's largely doing his stream-of-consciousness diary entry lyrics again, but I'm really diggin' the music, even though it's more overtly theatrical than I usually care for. (It reminds me of David Ackles.)

Same here, I think my favorite song so far is "666 Post" as it's the most consistently surreal and interesting.

Wait, Young Riddick Bowe is really cool too, really abstract sound.

• The occasional nice passage and arresting lyric, but on the whole, another one I can't see myself listening to all that much.

• Perhaps it's just the side effect of a first listen, but I feel like he might have tipped his hand releasing two dense and pretty electric songs as the singles...feeling underwhelmed by the acoustic droners like "Banjo Song". Those singles were so good though! Also "Weed Whacker" has a neat sound.

I think it has some really great moments & is a highlight for me of Mark’s Drone Period. I know I will listen to this much more than the two previous releases (Yellow Kitchen & Mark Kozelek with Ben & Jim).

think its great, not sure i like it as much as the albums he released last year as the music isn't as diverse. but its great to hear him playing the guitar so much, looking forward to seeing him in london in october. weed whacker, 666 post, my love for you is undying (tho i prefer the slower live version) are highlights so far. it always takes 5 or so listens to get all the lyrics on these new albums cause there's so many

Just got to the part in "The Mark Kozelek Museum" where he chants "diarrhea, diarrhea..." as he noodles on his guitar. At this point what can you do but shake your head and laugh.

@hyperviolet said:
    Just got to the part in "The Mark Kozelek Museum" where he chants "diarrhea, diarrhea..." as he noodles on his guitar. At this point what can you do but shake your head and laugh.

not even joking i think this shit is what makes him so great, properly innovative songwriter, nobody else would write anything like it. genuinely think since benji he's only gotten better

It’s a keen sense of smell that can single out the scent of diarrhea at a porta-potty.

anyone able ro do the little trick to post a link that allows. it to stream on a mobile device?

@sg70471 said:
    anyone able ro do the little trick to post a link that allows. it to stream on a mobile device?

http://www.sunkilmoon.com/markkozelekselftitled/tunes/

many thanks!

• WDSWDS

This seems pleasant enough, but there's nothing here with huge emotional weight, it seems to me. I'm surprised his last LP is so unpopular round here. I can't get enough of February Rain and Robin Williams Tunnel. To me, they're just incredible.

• Another Koz album I'm listening to more than I thought I would, even as a grapple with the thought that I don't really like it all that much.

@Sergei_Walankov said:
    Another Koz album I'm listening to more than I thought I would, even as a grapple with the thought that I don't really like it all that much.

I hear ya

• edited May 4 Posts: 360

Hearing the diarrhea noodling while stoned is a truly interesting experience. - Listened to it once and really enjoyed the guitar sounds. It's like he can just shit them out somehow, though. But that's meant in a positive way.

I think the interview with Phoebe Bridgers is also one of the better ones.

Nothing particularly great on it. Here's a review from Paste: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/05/mark-kozelek-mark-kozelek-review.html

• JRSJRS

I like this but only because I’m a die hard.

• JRSJRS

Video for ‘Weed Whacker’ here

i can't stand this guy's animation style. it's a shame cause the video for daffodils was brilliant, would love to see more like that

Working through my second listen now, certainly not enough to form a clear impression given how long the album is, but initial thoughts are I'm really enjoying the music -- more so than anything off of Common as Light (outside of God Bless Ohio)/Yellow Kitchen/MK+BB+JW.

The talking/singing style is okay, but nothing quite hitting me on first listen like "I Watched The Film The Song Remains The Same" did.

@klaher said:
    Nothing particularly great on it. Here's a review from Paste: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/05/mark-kozelek-mark-kozelek-review.html

The reference to "songs" is my argument about Mark's recent output in a nutshell

• edited May 7 Posts: 31

@ol0z said:
    Working through my second listen now, certainly not enough to form a clear impression given how long the album is, but initial thoughts are I'm really enjoying the music -- more so than anything off of Common as Light (outside of God Bless Ohio)/Yellow Kitchen/MK+BB+JW.

This was how I felt upon my first and only listen too. This might contain my favorite guitar work of his since admiral.

The way he talks/sings now makes it so hard for me to judge these albums at first. My first reaction is to hate it and wonder why I bother with his new music anymore but this stuff has a way of working its way into your brain after a while. Ive been listening to his recent stuff a lot over the few days and was kind of shocked with how much I enjoyed the new Jesu/SKM and the MK BB JW records compared to when I first heard them. Common and Yellow Kitchen remain nightmares to get through however.

@hyperviolet said:

@ol0z said:

This was how I felt upon my first and only listen too. This might contain my favorite guitar work of his since admiral.

The way he talks/sings now makes it so hard for me to judge these albums at first. My first reaction is to hate it and wonder why I bother with his new music anymore but this stuff has a way of working its way into your brain after a while. Ive been listening to his recent stuff a lot over the few days and was kind of shocked with how much I enjoyed the new Jesu/SKM and the MK BB JW records compared to when I first heard them. Common and Yellow Kitchen remain nightmares to get through however.

I enjoyed a lot of the Jesu/SKM -- Wheat Bread and Bombs being some exceptions. Yellow Kitchen was unlistenable for me. Common I revisit a few tracks, along with MK BB and JW.

This is probably the album I've enjoyed most on first listen because of the beautiful guitar work since maybe Universal Themes or the first Jesu/SKM. I wish he would reel in the wandering talking/diary style though.

Slow.

My copy arrived today. No lyric sheet this time!

Not a whole lot of chatter about this one huh?