30 Seconds to the Decline of Planet Earth

So it's up for pre-order now on caldoverderecords.com and Down In the Willow Garden will be out of print in March but probably most of us have 2-3 copies of it already I'd imagine

Comments

Probably the worst freebie and the most copies. Getting another one soon with Common as Light.

• JRSJRS

Just got email from Caldo Verde saying that there is a shortage of willow garden and that you can have the kids live in London or live in malmo instead.

Kids is pretty good if you don't have it.

• edited April 2017 Posts: 1,062

This will be streaming on sunkilmoon.com on April 27th and there will be a conversation with Mark and John Connolly.

@lament said:
    This will be streaming on sunkilmoon.com on April 27th and there will be a conversation with Mark and John Connolly.

Is it just me or does the picture of Mark make it look like he has a strange purple discolouration on his face?
    Im guessing it's just a shadow

It's already streaming now:

http://www.sunkilmoon.com/30seconds/

The music is much more varied on this one. Where the first records was basically Mark putting his voice to Jesu's music, this time Justin obviously made a greater effort to come up with something special for their project.

• edited April 2017 Posts: 927

I just received notification from CVR that the physical copy was on its way so I hope to have it in my paws before the end of the week...I am not a cat by the way it's just an expression :-)
    The interview with Mark by John Connolly on SKM is very comprehensive and quite illuminating

Very much different from the first Jesu/Sun Kil Moon and I already like this more than the lastest Sun Kil Moon.

• edited April 2017 Posts: 386

"So in the coming years, I guess I see myself finding more music in the things nearby and less of it at airports."

I don't know if that's going to be a problem or if it's going to be better...more San Francisco songs like in the old days? Or just songs about him describing his living room or something?

Otherwise really insightful interview. I'd rate it as one of the best among those interviews of his with other "celebrities".

Didn't really listen to the stream because I'm waiting for my physical copy. I did listen to You are Me and I Am You though because I liked it quite a bit when he played that live and I'm enjoying this version, too.

• A DREAM OF WINTER, just wow.
    WHEAT BREAD's awesome too.

• im pretty sure fans are writing him letters now just to see if he will put it in one of his songs.

the music is good, and on a whole the album is actually listenable unlike common as light, but i doubt ill revisit it much.

• ok i wrote that right before i got to a dream of winter and holy cow what a goddamn song

I think it's great. Personally, my favourite thing he's released since Perils.. (Not including live CDs)

Just ordered at CV so I get Night Talks 'free'. Shame international shipping ($13.50) costs almost as much as the CD itself ($15.99). I could buy the album in a record shop for around £12 when it comes out, so am actually paying £11.77 for the 'free' EP! Suppose I could download it cheaper but would rather have the CD anyway. Something for Mark to sing about on his next album!

@Thunderbolt said:
    Just ordered at CV so I get Night Talks 'free'. Shame international shipping ($13.50) costs almost as much as the CD itself ($15.99). I could buy the album in a record shop for around £12 when it comes out, so am actually paying £11.77 for the 'free' EP! Suppose I could download it cheaper but would rather have the CD anyway. Something for Mark to sing about on his next album!

Same here. So I decided to buy that mysterious Kath Bloom CD as well, since it's the same shipping cost for two CDs.

Got an email that mine shipped.

• really disliked "the greatest conversation..." the first time i heard it but its really hitting a nerve tonight...this album might be good???

Well it's not quite as devastating as the previous album review but the question is "Who can stop him?" (Mark not Twitler as somebody brillantly named the POTUS)

He owns his own label and produces his own albums so there is probably nobody there to give any critical feedback or just say "That's Bad"

@MrHanky said:

He owns his own label and produces his own albums so there is probably nobody there to give any critical feedback or just say "That's Bad"

Yeah, that's a good point. Oh well, there's always hope of something better next year. :wink:

Mine has shipped too

• edited May 2017 Posts: 927

Yeah, that's a good point. Oh well, there's always hope of something better next year. :wink:

Well I see on CVR Yellow Kitchen (the cover is certainly yellow) a collaboration by Mark Kozelek & Sean Yeaton coming out on Independence Day 4th of July & we still have the soundtrack to "Pretenders" the film directed by James Franco to come too

Sean Yeaton is bassist with a brilliant band called Parquet Courts i just found out

• edited May 2017 Posts: 174

Got my copy today, along with the NIGHT TALKS EP... liked both on first spin very much, but hell, 30 SECONDS is LOUD!!! BOMBS fades more than once into distortion, and not deliberately. Don´t know if I have another CD with such high output volume.

I want to like these... I really want to. But I've only heard "He's Bad," and one time is enough for me. Is the rest of the record that much better?

Mine arrived in Ireland today too
    So A Red House Painter some Parquet and Yellow Kitchen
    It's like a home restoration project

Is is it the house or the painter that is red?

Oh God I just found listening to both of these this morning a complete chore....I will of course listen again but some of the lyrics are just so juvenile and (ap)pathetic

I have finally broken my streak. I can't bring myself to buy this record, and I actually cancelled my order of his last one. I'll check out the Parquet Courts collab, but damn... I am struggling to find any urge to listen to any of these recent records. I've come to peace with not getting these, and even not getting the latest bonus EP. Feels weird and freeing in equal parts.

• Koz really needs to stop it with this approach to recording now...even the Benji fanboys have had enough. When he started with this stream of consciousness rambling rap style the press were interested like they hadn't been in many years because it was different, challenging, interesting, but over time and further records this sound is showing itself to be very limited in terms of replay value and the pop culture references from UT already feel badly dated. Now the spike in press fawning has seemingly died down and the goodwill towards Benji's bold achievements has been squashed over a series of unarguably diminishing releases that just sound ill thought out and rushed, with very little or no regard for quality control; music press and fans old and new are losing interest.
    It was heartening in the John Connolly interview that he asked what many fans would love to be able to do, about him disregarding his legacy, but Koz's answer seems kind of deluded if he thinks this recent approach will sustain his career. In my humble opinion it is clear that without Koz's 20 year legacy of creating beautifully crafted words and melodies that commanded listeners to stop, listen and fucking feel, nobody would be listening, or coming to shows, and he'd be laughed out of town. What keeps us coming back (in lesser numbers over each release I'm sure) is the hope that one day he can create something that holds up to his previous high standards. I'm not pining for one particular sound as his music clearly evolved through the years but each release was guaranteed-bet-your-house-on-it unfuckwithable QUALITY, and that's the difference. Without his RHP and SKM up to Benji legacy he would be fucking nothing, nowhere. People know him and respect him for his past, not his present phase. Who the hell is likely to be influenced by or stick on the stereo for weeks at a time UT or SKM/Jesu, or Common....It's shite! Just fucking TRY Koz, you have it in you! Rant over.