Common As Light and Love Are Red Valleys of Blood - Feb 2017

edited October 2017 in Sun Kil Moon

"Double CD - February 28th, 2017 - Caldo Verde Records"

Sun Kil Moon's website has been updated to include news of a forthcoming album. The news are supposedly dated June 19, but I don't know if that's accurate or not. Either way, looks like we have another album to look forward to.

There is also a new single, God Bless Ohio, available here: http://www.sunkilmoon.com/godblessohio/

Comments

• i like this

This song's actually pretty dark, and I'm into it.

If this is indicative of the whole album, then this could possibly redeem SKM's later output for me after Universal Themes and Jesu/SKM.

Since it's a double album, though, there's a good chance it won't be.

• edited July 2016 Posts: 92

does this album title make anyone else's head hurt

not hitting too many spots that, but i'm sure there'll be a few i like over two discs

Wonder if each disc will be 75 or 80
    minutes. That would make it like a quadruple album.

yesss!

This one reminds me quite a bit of Micheline.

• I really like this one.

@sangeronimo said:
    does this album title make anyone else's head hurt

I'm referring to it as CALALARVOB on Twitter. :)

• Kuh-laa-luh-err-vob

@G0LDEN_BEAR said:
    This one reminds me quite a bit of Micheline.

I definitely second that.

We should all be grateful that Mark Kozelek has the wisdom to express himself creatively however he wishes and we should applaud him for it. I think this song is wonderful. And even if I didn't then I'm fine with it as long as Koz is. VIVA EL KOZ!!!

• Yep - really liking this one. Can identify with lots of the lyrical themes about his childhood. Excited that it's going to be a double CD. What's that cover photo though? Looks like another 'looking out through the window' shot like Admiral Fell Promises...

amazing.

Yaaawwwnnnn

• Upon first listen, I actually liked this one. It's long, sure, but it doesn't sound tedious like the songs from Universal Themes. I still haven't gotten through any of those songs except the Ali/Spinks song.

• edited July 2016 Posts: 95

I'm struck by how similar it is in mood to the Down in the Willow Garden EP, which I thought very good for what it was. That's probably no great insight, but we've got a clear sense now of how Mark's sound is evolving -- and indeed that it is evolving, and he's not just doubling down into his rut like he's seemed in danger of doing post-UT.

So in his interview pre-Manchester gig Mark mentioned there is a Sun Kil Moon album as well as a Sun Kil Moon/Jesu record in the pipeline....wonder when we'll get details on the 2nd one?

@amalgam9virgo said:
    Upon first listen, I actually liked this one. It's long, sure, but it doesn't sound tedious like the songs from Universal Themes. I still haven't gotten through any of those songs except the Ali/Spinks song.

That was my thought too.

A huge factor in Mark's music now that he's using this prose storytelling style is whether or not what he's saying is actually interesting. That was the downfall of UT and Jesu/SKM, because Mark's actually good stories and insights were few and far between. Instead we got Mark bitching about vinyl once again and his girlfriend breaking his laptop. Who. Cares.

But it seems like there's meaning in his songs again, so I'll be looking forward to this. Cautiously.

• fantastic new song ! love the drums ! it's a dark one, for sure.

http://www.sunkilmoon.com/iloveportugal/

I Love Portugal is now streaming. Doesnt work on iPhones as usual so I'll have to listen on a computer later

This isn't bad. But the chorus - I mean REALLY? "I love Portugal, I love Portugal, I love... etc"

• I like the vocal harmonies but other than that it's just a pretty little ditty. not too shabby, not really great.

So, is this going to be the countdown to the new album? One new song per month?

• aw i like this one. melodically reminds me a little of "Carry Me Ohio"

• I think this album will be one I listen to a couple of times on Spotify and move on to something else. Like with Jesu/Sun Kil Moon.

• edited August 2016 Posts: 235

@sangeronimo definitely sounds like Carry Me Ohio in parts.

• Mark's current songwriting process:

This song does sound promising. The chorus is nice, too, but Mark kinda does run it into the ground.

When he said he was going to read the letter from the promoter, I groaned, but to my surprise, he actually made interesting musical choices to go along with it. Made the section have much more substance.

So yeah, this one could still be good.