YELLOW KITCHEN Pre-Order up at CV... Limited Edition

Comments

• edited July 2017 Posts: 87

A lot of the recent interest in him has got to be down to his heightened media profile via the war on drugs debacle, the journalist slagging off, bizarre performance art spectacle like what's the rambling crazy old guy with the beer belly rapping about crab cakes gonna do next? Even curiosity for that's tailed off now though and it seems he is back to performing for smaller numbers... Besides kudos for taking his direction down a difficult artistic path, i doubt any musician would cite his recent work as an influence, apart from that guy who did the parody ep, or perhaps Wesley Willis in a time machine.

• The goateed hipsters and middle-aged arts and culture buffs who made up the audience at the Melbourne Recital Centre really didn't look like that kind of crowd, assuming such a thing even exists, which I'd doubt. This is not to be over-enthusiastic about Mark's post-Benji oeuvre, which I would call patchy if I was being kind (and Yellow Kitchen is the worst of it).

• edited July 2017 Posts: 102

duplicate

I received this in the post yesterday but after reading all these reviews i'm thinking of leaving it in the envelope!

On a side note, I noticed Sun Kil Moon is sharing a bill with Nels Cline at an upcoming festival curated by Thurston Moore. That should be interesting!

@Sergei_Walankov said:
    I feel it should be pointed out that this is a short-run limited edition side project release. Would you really expect one of those to be much cop, even from an artist at the height of his powers? I can certainly understand why Noise Annoys and others have given up on him, but this particular release seems an odd place to draw the line in the sand.

It's just an accumulation of disappointment. I liked Benji well enough, but each release has become progressively lazier and harder to listen to. There were a few good songs on Universal Themes but after that I found it hard to get much enjoyment out of his any of his releases.

He can do what he wants, I have no problem with that. But if Yellow Kitchen was presented as a release from a new artist, it would be either completely ignored or laughed out of town. You can tell from the first minute the lack of effort and inspiration that has gone into it. The last time I saw him play here there were a few impressive moments, but I'm tired of the boorish shtick, the couldn't-give-a-damn attitude, the lack of tunes, and the lyrics that you can't relate to.

On a side note, the new Desertshore album is really good!

@Noise_Annoys said:
    But if Yellow Kitchen was presented as a release from a new artist, it would be either completely ignored or laughed out of town. You can tell from the first minute the lack of effort and inspiration that has gone into it.

Eh, that's not very fair to Yeaton. For a guy who's only known as the bassist in an indie rock band, the compositions here are totally out of left field and a pretty inspired mix of sounds - dark ambient, modern classical, a bit of indie rock, some experimental electronica. Also, I don't think listeners or critics are gonna be pulling any punches because the Koz is behind this project; he's not exactly a music-world darling at this point.

I'll second the DS album being a chill listen tho.

I find the guitar parts to be a pleasant surprise.

Oh man, I'm feeling depressed reading all this. You want to know something happy? In June my girlfriend and I got married and we had my best friend come up and read "Michigan" at the ceremony. It was a beautiful moment, and lots of people asked who the "poet" was that wrote such an amazing "poem".... I can't imagine asking that if I was crazy enough to get someone up to read "Time to destination" though.

Congrats to Mr. and Mrs. Crayon!

I can see why people would be antagonized in any number of ways by the barrage of albums Mark has released in 2017, but I don't share the negativity towards this album. In general, I find Mark's overall attitude towards his music and fans to be fairly brave. That doesn't mean the music is all good -- much of it is not, particularly amidst the sprawl that is "Common" -- but he's doing exactly what he wants and not worrying about the consequences.

"Daffodils" strikes me as an extremely interesting piece of music. Presumably created by Yeaton -- and certainly evoking Trent Reznor -- it inspired Mark to find his way to a dark place and deliver an impassioned performance.

Side note -- this album doesn't show up under "Mark Kozalek" under Spotify. It's necessary to search for Sean Yeaton to find it, and as a result the album is getting 477 plays a month.

How all of this will impact Mark's career is indeed an open question. I would personally have little interest in attending a three-hour Jesu/Sun Kil Moon concert, even though the second album was pretty good. A SKM or Mark solo show would also be an adventure, and I certainly wouldn't inflict it on a friend, let alone my wife, who has heard enough from me about his behavior to want nothing to do with him.

When all is said and done, Mark has released some important songs in 2017. "Astronomy" adds considerably to the late canon, and songs like "Daffodils" and "Wheatbread" in my view deserve credit for their experimentation. Obviously, many disagree, including some passionate longtime fans. But for me, having this guy around makes my life more interesting, and that says a lot.

Considering that he was willing to pick up his acoustic guitar for strong songs like "Dream of Winter," "Astronomy," and "The Reason that I Love You," it's all the more perplexing that he released an album of bass-focussed dirges in "Common." Of everything that he released this year, I think that album will wear most poorly and prove to be a fairly significant career mistake -- presuming he cares at all about sales, which is hardly clear.

• I would imagine that he anticipated this release wouldn't get any significant attention given the form he released it without the usual novel of a lyric sheet. (again, why the effort? but why bother releasing that album altogether?!)

And in contrast to my fellow poster above me, I would imagine Common was received rather well saleswise. I couldn't come up with any other explanation as to why he already released it on vinyl. It usually takes months and up to years for him to release anything on vinyl. I think the album was positively discussed by the guy from the needle drop and he has a pretty huge audience. Maybe that's why. I don't know, I liked some of it at the time but I'm not returning to it as I do with this year's Jesu/Sun Kil Moon and his EP.

@Sergei_Walankov Maybe you're right. Maybe this is a strange time to draw a line in the sand.

That said, I can clearly see the line, and there's footprints over it.

He owes me nothing, and I should have nothing for praise for him. A genius. I appreciate a change in direction too - Perils is one of my all time favourites.

It's just this music really isn't my thing at all, so I'm going to leave it there.

• I'll only say this about Yellow Kitchen: I was hoping for more from Holly Throsby's guest appearance.

• edited July 2017 Posts: 671

Well my sealed copy of this release has sold on eBay. Glad to get a tenner back. Sadly I shall no longer be a Mark completist. Mint, unplayed Common CD anyone ?

• Posting for the first time in years to say, this is the same man who wrote Katy Song...one song among many this man wrote many years ago that have followed me through adolescence, unrequited love, heartbreak, happiness and finally true love. His early output had a song for each emotion I've felt through some of the most difficult and wonderful times of my life.

Now he writes about his girlfriend making chicken soup and saying "small talk" over and over then launches into a dull droning monologue about fucking daffodils. One word, lazy.

Mark is talented, truly, but he's not the same songwriter he once was....not even close.

http://www.earbuddy.net/68401/mark-kozelek-sean-young-yellow-kitchen.html/reviews

As a fan for 25 years I take no pleasure in reading this....it hurts so much because it's sadly true

@seepingthrough I listened to the 4AD Red House Painters albums this week for the first time in a while. They absolutely floored me. I find it hard to accept that his last few releases were made by the same man.

Before anyone starts banging on about giving him respect for doing something different and not going over the same old ground again, yes I get that, and yes he did it successfully in a release such as Perils, but I feel that Yellow Kitchen and Common are utterly disastrous releases.

Yes, Mark doesn't owe me anything, and I will always enjoy his many outstanding releases, but also I don't owe him anything either and so will no longer pre order anything: to pay extortionate shipping fees for a good release is annoying enough, but I can't justify paying them for a poor release. Perhaps my own fault for not streaming and waiting for the physical release instead. Lesson learned.

That earbuddy reviewer thinks Common is the best release of the year so far?

@seepingthrough said:
    Posting for the first time in years to say, this is the same man who wrote Katy Song...one song among many this man wrote many years ago that have followed me through adolescence, unrequited love, heartbreak, happiness and finally true love. His early output had a song for each emotion I've felt through some of the most difficult and wonderful times of my life.

Now he writes about his girlfriend making chicken soup and saying "small talk" over and over then launches into a dull droning monologue about fucking daffodils. One word, lazy.

Mark is talented, truly, but he's not the same songwriter he once was....not even close.

Absolutely so true.

• JRSJRS

A good review - 4/5 from this link;

http://spectrumculture.com/2017/07/16/mark-kozelek-sean-yeaton-yellow-kitchen/

TBH I actually find listening to this less tiresome than 'Common As'. A awful lot of this album does make me cringe though. I agree with the half arsed vocal comments, and they seem to be sounding lazier with every release.

Correct me if I'm wrong but on one of the tracks does Mark discuss what his own certain bodily fluid tastes like? Sooooo gross.

I assume he was told rather than self-tasted.

I wish I heard what that guy does. Thoreau wouldn't be a fan.

maybe i am the only one here , but I like very much this album and wondering if someone could write the lyrics somewhere or you know where to find the lyrics for this album! Thanks

• JRSJRS

@pigmento said:
    maybe i am the only one here , but I like very much this album and wondering if someone could write the lyrics somewhere or you know where to find the lyrics for this album! Thanks

You aren't the only one. I find it quite listenable on a long journey. Not the sort of thing I can play at home though.

• I still think The Reasons I Love You is pretty damn good.

@pigmento said:

Good luck finding someone with the time and energy to write all that out

I bet the lyrics are even deeper when read.

@Thunderbolt said:

@pigmento said:

Good luck finding someone with the time and energy to write all that out

I would be greateful. I get many of the lyrics but not everything

Just saw the video for "daffodils", I thought it was quite fun but sadly my wife said "This is the most boring video I've ever seen" ;-)

• I thought it was quite entertaining, too. But I can't see a purpose. And I could've never imagined Mark would produce a music video again. To make a video for this release seems especially absurd.